Tuesday 7 January 2014

Inspiration for Urban Landscape final piece: John Piper and L S Lowry

For my final piece for the Urban Landscape project my inspiration came from art mainly created by John Piper and L S Lowry, however I did ponder whether I should go into a more abstract form of art. Never the less I felt that for this particular assignment; buildings, town and city scenes, urban life, I wanted to paint a picture that showed the observer the streets and buildings of the city rather than focus on shapes and colours that show a hint of the scene I had in mind to project.
Both John Piper and L S Lowry, in my opinion created scenes which are recognisable and yet show personality and imagination. I also feel there is a sense of freedom with both Piper and Lowry to paint a picture the way they felt it should look rather that how it may actually appear in real life.



I was taken by John Piper's art and found his choice of scenes to paint to be most impressive. Without too much emphasis on a very life like painting his art shows brilliant colour and imagination. I felt I leaned towards the style of John Piper whilst attempting my own urban landscape scene. His colours are quite over the top and enhanced and I wanted to deliver strong saturated colours in my art.


L S Lowry who was famous for his paintings of the North of England in the mid 20th century and his matchstick men was a huge inspiration to me. I liked his naive approach to painting and again I liked his use of colour within the dusty streets and scenes. Because of this I felt an urge to paint old mills and grotty smokey scenes also but I chose a scene which had both yesterdays buildings and today's more modern buildings together.
My final piece is taken from a photograph I took of a scene in Manchester and I wanted to show buildings both old and new.


No comments:

Post a Comment